What are Symptoms of prediabetes:
Prediabetes usually has no symptoms. Very few patients may experience symptoms of diabetes like: Increased thirst, frequency of urination, tiredness, delayed healing of small wounds, frequent infections,blurred vision.
What are Risk Factors:
- Age > 45 years
- Family history of diabetes
- Over weight
- Sedentary lifestyle
Hypertension, high triglycerides, low HDL 6.History of gestational diabetes or giving birth to big size baby.
How to manage pre-diabetes:
Pre-diabetes can be managed with simple lifestyle changes, so that it does not go on to develop into diabetes.
- Weight reduction atleast 10-15 pounds, by restricting daily calorie intake to 1500-1800
- Eat healthy food that is low in saturated fat and high in fiber.
- Exercise 30 min daily 5 times a week. Some physicians may recommend medicines like metformin or pioglitazone to lower insulin resistance in pre-diabetes.
Does every patient with pre-diabetes eventually develop Diabetes?
It is not necessary. People with pre-diabetes have a very high chance of developing diabetes. But they can prevent this progression to diabetes by adopting simple lifestyle changes like :
- Eating healthy food
- Staying active, exercise regularly
- Regular medical checkup and blood test at least once a year